The section of Bach’s Goldberg Variations that I chose to compare is the Aria da capo. Rather than a variation, this is entirely a return to original aria. When listening to the two different recordings of it, the first thing I notice is the tempo. The 1955 recording is much quicker than the 1981 recording, so much so that the 1955 track on Spotify is close to half the length of the track of the 1981 recording. This creates a straighter and more even sound in the 1955 recording, whereas the 1981 recording is more dynamic and delicate. I think that this really reflects Gould’s life and musical journey, as the 1955 recording sounds and like a young virtuosic artist introducing himself to the world. It sounds bright, complicated, and impressive. The 1981 recording shows us a version of Gould who doesn’t need to be showy. The melody is thoughtful and simple, and the bass line is steady, moving one note at a time. To me, it sounds like the biggest difference is that the 1955 recording focuses more on the notes, and the 1981 recording focuses more on the music. By this I mean that the 1955 recording sounds more technically difficult and impressive, while the 1981 recording feels more like it’s telling a story. Listening to the 1955 recording, I feel inspired and amazed, and listening to the 1981 recording, I feel like like I am being drawn in, and that every single note is incredibly important to hear in its entirety.